Scientists were able to develop COVID-19 vaccines in record time for three reasons: people, funding and research.
1. COVID-19 is a problem for people across the globe. Every country made it their topmost priority to end the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. A lot of money and resources were put into developing COVID-19 vaccinations because it was an emergency.
3. Decades of research have already been done on vaccine technology for other diseases. These include diseases similar to COVID-19. Scientists all across the world were focused on using existing knowledge to speed up the COVID-19 vaccine development.
Though COVID-19 vaccines were developed quickly, their safety and efficacy was ensured. This was possible because the clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccines had more people in them than any other vaccine that has been developed. The trials confirmed their safety and effectiveness.
The Baltimore City Health Department and Baltimore City Fire Department are providing COVID-19 vaccines to people who are homebound in Baltimore City. You can register online for this free service.
- Go to https://covax.baltimorecity.gov.
- Click on the “Register for a COVID-19 Vaccination” button.
- Under the “Address” section the first question is “Are you homebound?” Choose “Yes” as the answer.
- You will be contacted for an appointment. The Fire Department will provide the vaccine to you in-home.
If you have a list of people who need the vaccine and are homebound, please e-mail Lillian.Ross@baltimorecity.gov.